If you are self-conscious about your double chin, removing excess fat can define and sculpt your jawline and boost your overall confidence. But before deciding to have a surgical procedure like chin liposuction, it’s essential to have a thorough understanding of what to expect and how to prepare.
That’s where we come in! We want to empower you to make the aesthetic choices that are right for you. To that end, let’s explore chin liposuction, including whether you’re the right candidate for this procedure and why getting rid of a double chin can be so transformative for your face and neck.
How Does Double Chin Liposuction Work?
Chin liposuction, or submental liposuction, removes unwanted fat from beneath the chin and along the jawline to create more defined facial contours. It is performed in-office using local anesthesia and generally takes less than an hour. We use an advanced technique called SAFELipo® with power-assisted liposuction (PAL) because it is an excellent option for delicate areas such as the chin.
Here’s how chin liposuction with SAFELipo works:
- We use a specially designed vibrating cannula to gently target and separate fat while minimizing damage to surrounding facial tissues.
- We suction away the targeted fat from under the chin.
- We sculpt the remaining tissues to create smooth, even facial contours.
What Are the Benefits of Chin Liposuction?
There are several reasons chin liposuction earns a 92% “Worth It” rating on RealSelf, but here are some of the procedure’s key benefits:
- It’s the fastest and most effective way to eliminate under-chin fat.
- Results are long-lasting (as long as you maintain a consistent weight).
- It’s a treatment that can be safely combined with procedures like chin implants or dermal fillers to achieve complementary results.
Am I a Good Candidate for Chin Liposuction?
Despite what some people think, a double chin isn’t always associated with being overweight; it can also be attributed to aging or genetics. Skin laxity is key in determining who is a good candidate for chin liposuction. We must ensure that your skin has enough elasticity to bounce back into shape after removing excess fat. If your skin is very loose, you may want to combine chin liposuction with one of our nonsurgical skin-tightening treatments.
In addition to skin laxity, here are some other factors we look at to determine if you’re a good candidate:
- Your age: Patients with more significant concerns may be better suited by pairing liposuction with a comprehensive facelift or neck lift.
- Your weight: Chin liposuction may not address deeper fat pockets in patients who are significantly overweight.
- Your lifestyle: Patients who maintain healthy habits like eating a well-balanced diet, working out, and refraining from smoking are typically the best plastic surgical candidates.
Preparing for Your Procedure
Every successful cosmetic transformation begins by consulting with a skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon. During your consultation, we will examine your area of concern, discuss your medical history, explore your goals, and answer your questions. It’s a good idea to ask to see your surgeon’s chin liposuction before-and-after photos to view actual patient results.
Your pre-surgical protocol may also include stopping alcohol consumption at least 1 week before surgery and avoiding certain medications and supplements that can increase your risk of bleeding or bruising following your procedure.
Chin Liposuction Recovery Timeline: What To Expect
Good news for our patients! Our use of SAFELipo makes your chin liposuction recovery shorter and more comfortable than other liposuction procedures. You can expect about 3 to 5 days of downtime before returning to work and resuming most normal activities. You should postpone vigorous activity for at least 10 days.
Here is a detailed timeline of what to expect as you recover from your procedure:
Day of Surgery
You will return home on the same day of surgery to rest and heal. You can expect some immediate swelling, bruising, and mild discomfort, but you can easily manage it by following our post-op protocol. You must wear a chin liposuction compression garment at all times to reduce swelling.
Chin Liposuction After 1 Week
Most patients are able to return to work and non-strenuous activities. Swelling and bruising begin to subside, and you can start lymphatic massage to the treated area 1 to 2 times weekly to aid healing.
2 to 4 Weeks Post-op
It’s no longer necessary to wear your compression garment at all times. Swelling and bruising continue to fade and can be well-concealed with makeup. Your final results are becoming more noticeable.
Lumps caused by fluid buildup continue to naturally resolve after 8 to 12 weeks. Residual swelling can take up to 6 months or longer to subside fully, eventually revealing your sculpted jawline. Any resulting scars fade over time and should be virtually undetectable.
Once healing is complete, you can expect to enjoy the results of chin liposuction for up to 10 years or longer if you live a healthy lifestyle and maintain a consistent weight.
Tips for a Successful Outcome
While most chin liposuction patients are thrilled with the outcome of their surgery, we encourage you to use these tips to ensure you have a smooth and positive transformation:
- Talk openly with your plastic surgeon to ensure you have realistic expectations about your procedure, the healing process, and your results.
- Follow your post-op protocol carefully—especially wearing your chin liposuction compression garment—to protect your incisions and enhance your overall results.
- Keep moving after surgery, beginning with short, gentle walks around your house and gradually working up to normal activities as your healing progresses. Movement encourages blood circulation and healing—and it’s a good mood booster, too.
- Apply Alastin Skin Nectar to the treated area 3 weeks before and 6 weeks following surgery to improve your outcome. We’ll assist you in obtaining a post-procedure kit from Alastin.
- Maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle to preserve the results of your chin liposuction.